Monday, November 16, 2015

Herculaneum

As soon as we agreed on Italy, Neill asked if we would mind visiting Pompeii or Herculaneum, towns that were destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.  Neill ultimately decided Herculaneum would be preferable as it is better preserved than Pompeii.  I would have never picked it for myself so I am really grateful Neill suggested it because it was awesome.  Visiting Italy and England made me realize how many things in America are just imitations and homages of splendor from the past.

Herculaneum was buried by the eruption and then later Ercolano, a town on the outskirt of Naples, was unknowingly built over top.  Much of Herculaneum still remains still buried underneath but there isn't money available to uncover it.  


Alison and I at the ladies' bath house

The ornate tile floors of the bath house

Fertility symbols on the bath house floor





A beautiful city with a tragic ending.  

No comments:

Post a Comment